Inner Line Permit

All correspondence(s) in respect of Tours / Travel Service bookings should be addressed to M/s. White Yak Holidays


  • Inner Line Permit or ILP (in short) is a travel permit issued by the Indian Government. It allows the inward travel of citizens from outside of a state to some of the protected areas within the host state.

  • These states or places within the states can be extremely sensitive, hold high diplomatic values, close to International Borders, or other such matters of national interest.

  • Indian states like Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Lakshadweep Islands, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Rajasthan, Sikkim, and Uttaranchal requires an Inner Line Permit.

  • Usually, ILPs can be acquired from the regional tourism department after submitting some of the required documents; Proof of Nationality, Valid Photo ID, etc. Acquiring ILPs also involves a certain fee imposed by the regional tourism board.

  • Inner Line Permits come with a rigid validity. The regional tourism board decides the validity of ILPs and it cannot be questioned by anyone. However, validity of these permits can be extended; visitors must submit a request letter to the regional Tourism Board. Extending ILP is a sole decision of the Regional Tourism Board, and cannot be challenged by anyone!

  • Yes! Areas like the Khaltse Sub-Division, Nubra Sub-Division and Nyona Sub-Division require an Inner Line Permit.

  1. In Khaitse Sub-Division:

    • Khaltse, SroduchanHanudo, Baina, and Dha

  2. In Nubra Sub-Division:

    • Leh – Khardung La Pass – Khalsar – Tirit till Panasik

    • Leh – Khardung La Pass – Khalsar till Hunder

    • Leh – Sabo – Digar La Pass – Digar – Labab – KhungruGampa – Tangar

  3. In Nyona Sub-Division:

    • Leh – Upshi – Chusathang – Mahe – Puga – Tso Moriri Lake (Korzok)

    • Leh – Upshi – Debring – Puga – Tso Moriri Lake (Korzok)

    • Leh – Karu – Chang La Pass – Durbuk – Tangtse – Lukung – Spanksik-Pangong Tso Lake to Spanksik

  • The permit is issued by DC’s office in Leh city. It can be collected between Monday to Saturday from 09:00AM to 05:00PM. The permit is issued only between 09:00AM to 03:00PM.

  • A photocopy of photo identity proof (self-attested) – Driving License, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, and Aadhar Card. Carrying a secondary photo ID proof is also advisable.

  • ILP in Ladakh comes with a validity of 3 weeks for Indian nationals and 1 week for foreign nationals. Within this given time frame, visitors can travel to and fro as many times as they want.

  • Cost for the ILP (for 3 weeks) is INR 200. There is also a per day environment tax of INR 20 and per day wildlife protection fee of INR 10.

  • Yes. Students can acquire an ILP in Ladakh by paying only INR 20 by displaying their school or college ID proof.

  • In addition to all personal details (like Name, Parent/Guardian’s Name, Permanent Address, Age, Gender, etc.), visitors also need to fill in the names of the places they want to visit during their Leh Ladakh tour along with the route map.

  • Visitors should also submit a similar form at DC Office, Leh, mentioning all the names of the places they want to visit during their Leh Ladakh tour. This form has to be synced with the ILP form.

  • Yes! However, visitors should email or fax all the required documents after self-attesting them.

  1. Indian nationals no more require an Inner Line Permit:

    • Effective from the 1st of May, 2014, ILPs are no more required for Indian nationals to visit some of the restricted areas during their Leh Ladakh tour. However, they must carry valid photo ID proofs and produce them on demand.

  2. Places That Still Requires an Inner Line Permit for Indian Nationals:

    • Though most of the destinations are now open to Indian nationals, they must acquire an Ladakh Inner Line Permit to visit Hanle, Tasaga, Chusul, Marsimik La Pass, Chumur, Batalik and beyond Loma during their Leh Ladakh tour.

  3. Inner Line Permits Are Only for Indian Nationals:

    • For foreign nationals, they must get a Protected Area Permit (PAP) from the DC Office in Leh. The procedures are almost same to that of Inner Line Permit. However, a photocopy of Visa is mandatory.

  4. Foreign Nationals Must Travel in A Group:

    • Foreign nationals can acquire an ILP only if they are travelling in a group of two or more visitors.

    • After acquiring InnerLine Permits, a foreign national can visit only the following restricted places: Nubra Valley, Tso Moriri Lake, Pangong Tso Lake, Dha and Hanu.